We have a long history of establishing partnerships with farmers that go beyond commercial relationships. These farmer partnerships focus on three areas of impact at origin.
We work towards social, environmental and economic impact by implementing sustainability programs and facilitating transparency and open communication between the farmer and chocolate maker.
We Initiate Innovative Sustainability Programs
We initiate and manage a wide variety of sustainability projects at the farms we work with to improve quality and productivity. We start by engaging farmers to implement good agricultural practices and progress to financing larger community improvement projects.
Common initiatives at origin include:
- Training on disease reduction methods and pruning techniques for increased yield
- Distributing shade and fruit trees for farm diversification
- Implementing organic fertilization and composting processes to reduce environmental impact
- Financing irrigation systems and post-harvest facilities to improve community infrastructure
You Can Access Advanced Traceability Resources
We believe in complete transparency for chocolate makers, and offer a number of advanced traceability resources for those who want to go beyond basic insights on origins. One level of transparency comes from sharing information and another comes from seeing the locations and context of farmers through technology.
Advanced traceability resources include:
- GPS mapping of the farms you source from
- Post-harvest fermentation time and method
- Post-harvest drying time and method
- Advanced flavor notes
Together We Can Implement Custom Projects
We love working with chocolate makers who have big ideas on changing the world by doing the right thing at the source. Tell us how much you’re interested in investing and we’ll use our extensive expertise at our origins to help you shape the strategy and execute a successful implementation.
Types of initiatives we support include:
- Productivity and quality improvements on the farm
- Environmental process improvements on the farm
- New cacao product development, or custom product enhancements
- Community infrastructure and quality of life improvement projects